Walk about zion – north wall the w hotel istanbul

As we walk around the city we will notice its massive walls that are approximately 10 feet (3 meters) thick at their base and 16-49 feet (5-15 meters) high. We will also notice its towers (35 in all), and its many battlements and overhanging parapets for defense of the gates. We will particularly notice the gates themselves. There are eight of these gates and they all are open today except one.

Our virtual tour begins at the northwest corner of the Old City near Tsahal Square (Israel Defense hotel star istanbul Forces Square), and we will be walking northeast along the ancient wall toward Arab Jerusalem. In this northwest corner we are greeted by a pleasant green park with olive and palm trees. Some of the archaeological remains uncovered in this park go back to Crusader times.

Immediately we encounter the first gate of the city and the newest one.

It was built in 1889 in an agreement between the Turkish Sultan and European powers. Its purpose was to provide access between newly constructed Christian buildings just outside the Old City with the Christian Quarter itself. It was given the appropriate name, “New Gate” (#1 on the map above). This gate marks the highest blue house hotel istanbul point of all the city gates, at 2,591 feet or 790 meters. It is possible that some sort of gate once stood near this location in Crusader times but it was later closed.

The Christian Quarter is known for its many churches and church institutions. Among these are the various seats of church government in the Holy Land. There is the Latin Patriarchate, the Greek Catholic Patriarchate, the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate, as well as the Ethiopian and Coptic Patriarchates. In addition the Christian Quarter contains the very large complex of the Church of the Holy Sepulcher along with the Redeemer Lutheran Church and its tall tower. We will get a closer look at some of these later when point hotel istanbul barbaros we come to the last leg of our tour along the western edge of the Christian Quarter.

In order to better orient ourselves, let’s take a quick look from atop the wall near the New Gate. We find ourselves looking in the distance at the end of Mt. Scopus and the beginning of the Mt. of Olives. The square-looking tower we see in the distance is Augusta Victoria Hospital. We will take a closer look at this from the eastern wall.

We now continue with our walk toward Arab East Jerusalem and the Damascus Gate. We notice that across the street to our immediate left we get a view of the Notre Dame complex which was completed in 1904. It first served as a monastery and hospice for pilgrims kybele hotel istanbul and presently serves as a Christian hotel. The building was badly damaged in the 1948 war but has since been restored and renovated.

As we journey further atop the wall and as it continues northeast we are soon treated to a view of the Old City. We are now looking toward the Dome of the Rock and in the distance we can also see the southern end of the Mount of Olives. This view of Old Jerusalem, with its many television dishes and solar water heaters, reminds us that life must still go on for the thousands of people living within the Holy City.

Now let us mount hali hotel istanbul the gate and peek over the top for a quick look inside the Muslim Quarter. Soon after one enters Damascus Gate the street branches out to the southeast toward the Temple Mount and on to the vicinity of the present-day Dung Gate. The other branch runs southwest along the path of the Roman/Byzantine Cardo or market street. Much of this Cardo has been excavated and new businesses have now opened up along it. This southwestern branch of the Cardo ran in the direction of the Zion Gate.

Damascus Gate was also the beginning old city hotel istanbul of the roadway from Jerusalem to Nablus (Shechem) and on to Damascus in Syria. In Roman times there was a post situated at the gate with an image of Caesar upon it. From that point all mileage measurements were made to the various cities throughout the country. In Arabic the gate is still called Bab-el Amud, or Gate of the Column.

Just a short hotel istanbul 4 etoiles avec piscine distance up Nablus Road and on the right is the Garden Tomb. This site was brought to light by the British General, Charles Gordon, in 1883. It quickly became an alternate location for the place of crucifixion and burial of Jesus. Of particular interest to Gordon was the presence of a rock cut tomb and the unusual shape of the rocky hill that resembled a skull. Today this location is operated by the Garden Tomb Association and is a favorite place for Christian groups to come, observe, meditate and worship.

Just to the east of the Damascus Gate and situated along the very top of the wall is the Spafford Children’s Center. This center resulted from the sacrificial work of Horatio and Anna Spafford. They came to Palestine from the US in 1881, with family and friends. The Spaffords had suffered swiss hotel bosphorus istanbul a string of family disasters before deciding to come to the land, including the loss of four of their children at sea. As a result of this loss, Horatio Spafford wrote the endearing lyrics of the Christian hymn, It is Well With My Soul. Because of their work, what is known as The American Colony, north of the Damascus Gate, came into being. The popular American Colony Hotel is also still in operation.

Let us now walk further on our journey to Herod’s Gate, we realize that our wall has surmeli hotel istanbul taken a short turn inward and that the wall itself at this point is not very tall since it is situated on a massive rock escarpment. The area below the wall was part of a very large rock quarry in ancient times and likely many stones that formed the Temple and the Temple area were taken from this quarry (1 Ki. 5:15-17). The quarry actually extended across the road into the area of the bus station. When the Crusaders arrived they turned the quarry into a moat which ran along much of the northern wall.

The name of Herod’s Gate in Arabic is Bab ez-Sahr “The Flowered Gate.” If we look toward the top of it we can make out the flower symbol. In the 16 th and 17 th centuries this opening got its name “Herod’s Gate” because pilgrims came to believe that Herod had a palace in this area. Actually, the gate probably didn’t even exist in Herod’s time. For many years the gate was just a wicket opening out of the eastern side of the tower in order to ease traffic flow from this crowded section. The front part of the gate was not opened until 1875. It is of note that in this area the Crusaders under Godfrey of Bouillon breached the older hotel a istanbul wall in 1099.